The Active Travel Network
The Active Travel Network is a knowledge sharing platform for professionals tasked with creating more walkable, bicycle-friendly and healthy communities in Great Britain and Ireland.
It is formed by professionals working in public and private sectors, who work to deliver better towns and cities to live, work and play.
It is a network for the whole cycle, walking, public health and place-making planning professions, to share views and opinions and discuss policy and delivery issues.
Objectives & Outputs
The following objectives and outputs will be delivered through the formation of working groups drawn from individual members:
- Bringing together people who share a common interest in developing a more walkable and bicycle-friendly community
- Coordinate activities in the field of pedestrian, cycle planning, public health and place-making
- Provide a learning network through which the members can benefit from the experience of others
- Raise awareness and promote the benefits of walkable and bicycle friendly communities
- Be an International forum to identify and exchange examples of best practice and to disseminate and develop consistent approaches and best practice nationally
- Disseminate the results of research
- Provide and support educational and training opportunities to help equip members with the skills needed
- Cooperate and work in partnership with relevant authorities, third sector organisations and government agencies
- Develop and promote ideas and initiatives to encourage walkable and bicycle-friendly communities
- To accredit infrastructure and services to the active travel sector
- Vote on the annual National Cycle Awards (launched at the London Cycle Show in September 2015)
- Publication of reports and publications on an annual basis
Membership of the Active Travel Network includes:
- Industry Influence: opportunity to shape the sector, influence policy and funding decisions
- Training and professional development through shared membership, events and publications produced by the network
- Weekly news updates of the top stories, features and case studies
- Significant discounts on rates at Active Travel Network supported conferences, seminars and workshops, including: Cycle City Active City, The London Cycling Show, Smarter Travel, Women and Cycling and many more. Estimated saving in first year over £500!
- Discounts on professional journals and websites including, Local Transport Today, Get Britain Cycling magazine, Parking Review and www.TransportXtra.com
- Annual dinner and networking event at a major conference (launch dinner to be held at Cycle City Active City, Newcastle
- Members profile directory (Professional profile, searchable directory by skills and location) on the Active Travel Network website
- Annual Active Travel Network publication, including essentials news, features, case studies or members directory. Magazine to be distributed to all transport authorities, government agencies, PTEs, research institutes and professionals working in active travel policy and planning
- Discounted rates to advertise your vacancies on www.jobs-in-transport.com
- The Active Travel Network website will include a online forum for discussion groups and debate on key issues
Membership is offered free of charge to all that attend Active Travel Network supported events. Simply register at the event at the designated Active Travel Network desk, to collect your membership card.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org